About Your Course Presenter:
Boyd W. Shepherd, D.D.S., J.D.
For over 20 years, I have developed a specialized practice of providing legal services and counsel to Texas dentists on a wide range of legal issues. My law practice includes day-to-day counsel and guidance to dentists across the state of Texas on issues related to their business operations, Board Rule compliance, risk management, employees, patients, and a variety of matters in litigation.
What makes this course unique...
From representing thousand's of dentists with all aspects of their Board case investigations and settlement conferences, I have vast experience in Texas State Board representation at each and every level of the process.
Course Description & Objectives
In this risk management course group presentation for dental practitioners and their office team members, attendees will:
- View actual investigations and cases of alleged violations of the Texas Dental Practice Act and the Rules and Regulations of the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners.
- Analyze the diagnosis and treatment planning of clinical cases, and review which risk management protocols and procedures should have been implemented, and the applicable Texas law.
- Cover the TSBDE Rules & Regulations, and the recommended “risk management” systems and approaches for compliance with state regulations, including record-keeping and ethics.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will have completed and understand:
- A review of actual clinical dentistry cases, including record keeping violations which led to TSDBE investigation and disciplinary actions.
- The value of ethical approaches to clinical dentistry in their own practice, and implementation of risk management procedures and protocols to prevent patient complaints to the TSBDE.
- A thorough review of the applicable provisions of the Texas Dental Practice Act and the Rules and Regulations of the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners, which most often result in patient complaints to the TSBDE.
The window into your daily practice and patient treatment, this aspect of compliance and risk management is something you can control by utilizing the required content that is dictated by explicit Board rules.
Standard of Care
Know the rules that describe and outline the expected and regulated standard of care for the treatment of your dental patients, as well as for the requirements for documentation of the treatment provided.
Know the legally required content, as well as the unpublished expected content, for one of the most important communication and record keeping tools available in your dental practice.
- 1. The Rules & Regulations of the TSBDE: Overview
- 2. The Two Most Important Board Rules To Know
- 3. Rule 108.7 Standard of Care, with Video (21:43)
- 4. Rule 108.8 Record Keeping, with Video (14:46)
- 5. Rule 108.8 Maintenance of Records, with Video (9:41)
- 6. Rule 108.8 Requests for Records, with Video (4:16)
- 7. Rule 108.8 Duplication of Records, with Video (1:31)
- 8. Final Quiz & Homework: Implementation of a Risk Management System
Get Compliant with Confidence...
Once you and your team are brought up to speed and equilibrated on the laws and rules that regulated your dental practice, you will not only be able to efficiently proceed and remain in compliance, you will also be practicing and managing your risks confidently with each patient you treat.